Overview of Mentor Responsibilities
- Mentors are Faculty and/or Staff of Mississippi State University.
- Submit Online Application
- One Academic Calendar Year Commitment. (August 2020-May 2021).
- Complete Mentor/Mentee training offered online or face-to-face.
- Attend a minimum of 1 activity per semester planned for Mentor/Mentee(s) outside of the mandatory HCDC Faculty, Staff, and Student Mixer with Mentee(s).
- Dedicate 1 – 5 hours per month to meeting with assigned mentee(s).
- Meeting(s) should be informal and in neutral locations
- Limited Food Vouchers Available upon request
- Methods of communication include but are not limited to face-to-face meetings, phone calls, email, etc.
- Although most meetings can be informal, Mentors should remember to focus on professional and personal development of the student.
- Acclimating to MSU
- Classroom successes
- Student Organization Involvement
- Physical and Mental well-being
- Study Strategies
- Personal, Professional and Academic Goals
- Mentor is expected to provide a safe space for mentees or connect mentee with appropriate resource(s) to assist with questions, concerns, & issues.
- Remember your obligations to Mississippi State University as a mandatory reporter of sexual misconduct, harassment, rape, suicide, etc.
- Follow up on commitments made to mentee(s)
- Contact mentee(s) if you are unable to attend scheduled meetings.
- Complete evaluation form of prior month’s meeting by the 15th of the following month for program evaluation purposes.
- Adhere to all guidelines and expectations set forth by Program Coordinators.
- Contact Program coordinators if there is a concern with the mentoring relationship.
- Participate in Community Service Event with Mentee(s).
- Allow Mentee(s) to shadow you for a day.
- Attend recreational or student organization/club event with Mentee(s).
Submit your Application